The aim of the Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) is to improve the experience of BME staff in the workplace. This includes employment, promotion and training opportunities. It also applies to BME people who want to work in the NHS.
The implementation of the WRES will make tackling race equality a priority for the NHS and for the Trust. It will allow us to provide focus on a number of areas including:
- BME representation at Senior Management and Board level
- The experience of BME staff in the employee relations process and NHS Staff Survey
- The non-mandatory training and development opportunities made available to BME members of staff
The WRES is a tool to systematically identify gaps between BME & White staff experiences in the workplace. In measuring those gaps and taking action this will achieve:
- Tangible progress in eliminating discrimination
- Support in the creation of a positive working culture and valued staff
- Improve the opportunities available to BME members of staff
This will create an environment in the Trust whereby all staff feels engaged, valued and supported. This will result in high quality patient care and improved health outcomes for all.
The results of the Trusts WRES submission for 2019 can be found here.