Aintree has implemented the Equality Delivery System (now EDS2) launched by the Department of Health in 2011.
EDS2 is a tool-kit that helps organisations improve the services they provide for their local communities, consider health equalities in their locality and provide better working environments for those who work in the NHS. It supports NHS organisation to also:
- Meet the public sector Equality Duty of the Equality Act 2010
- Deliver on the NHS outcomes and the NHS Constitution
- Meet the Care Quality Commissions fundamental standards.
EDS2 has four key goals:
- Better health outcomes for all
- Improved patient access and experience
- Empowered, engaged and well supported staff
- Inclusive leadership at all levels.
NHS organisations must engage with local stakeholders, patients, carers, voluntary organisations and people who work in the NHS to grade their equality performance, identify where improvements can be made and act on their findings.
Aintree is currently working on EDS2 with several other Trusts in the area. By undertaking a collaborative approach, this will ensure we are meeting the needs of our local population and improving access and health outcomes across the local health economy.
The results of our self assessment can be found here. Our action plan will be published shortly.